There are many things that may lead you into the office of a speech therapist. Speech therapy is a type of therapy that works to ensure that your memory can be retrained as well as your cognitive functioning in order to restore your normal behaviors and speech after an injury or a heath diagnosis. You may also want to consider the many different things that can occur that may disrupt your normal speech patterns in the first place. Listed here are the top five reasons that you may need speech therapy:
- Children with speech impediments or hearing impairments. If your child has a speech problem or a speech impediment, then you may need to consider getting speech therapy for them. You may need speech therapy for your child if they are suffering from hearing impairments, cognitive delays such as intellectual delays, weak oral muscles, chronic hoarseness, birth defects, motor planning problems and articulation problems.
- Apraxia. Another common problem that can lead you into the office of a speech therapist is due to apraxia. This is a type of speech problem that affects both children and adults and will make it hard for the person afflicted with the disease to really be able to say what they want both correctly and consistently.
- Aphasia. Another common type of speech problem is aphasia. This is speech disorder that leads to the inability to remember words as well as completely being unable to write, read, or speak. This can affect anyone at any age and is commonly caused by a head injury or a stroke. Some symptoms of this include the inability to comprehend language and speak, read, or write.
- Nervous disorders such as stroke or aneurysm. You may also need to see a speech therapist if you have suffered from a stroke or an aneurysm or any other type of traumatic brain injury.
- Articulation disorders. If you are suffering from articulation disorders, then you may need to seek out a rehabilitation specialist such as speech therapist as well. This means that you have issues with the coordination of certain components of physical speech that can result from chronic ear infections.
As you can see, these were just five of the numerous types of reasons that can lead you into the office of a speech therapist. Often times, if you are dealing with more traumatic issues such as a stroke, then you will need other types of therapy as well such as physical therapy, occupational therapy and counseling. If you are looking for the right types of therapies for your particular situation, then you will want to be sure that you reach out to the right specialists who can help you with making the right decisions for your needs.
If you are looking for the right neurological institute for your needs, then you can reach out to the experts over at the Colorado Neurological Institute. They are the leading experts in neurological therapy and can help you make the right decisions for your future and your rehabilitation needs.